Hey everyone! Time to start planning for the weekend!
Now, overall, this is a pretty big weekend in Pittsburgh. The St.Patrick’s Day Parade is Saturday, so that typically means festivities all day long. If you are partaking, you probably already have a game plan, so I’ll leave you to it.
But, If you are looking for something more low key –I’ve got you covered.
Friday March 11
- Where: Carnegie Science Center- North Shore
- When: 6:00pm-10:00pm
- Cost: $11
- Join the Carnegie Science Center and Wigle Whiskey for a night devoted to food science. Explore how your genes can impact your taste, mess around with liquid nitrogen (hello frozen marshmallows), and determine if you are a “super taster”. Enjoy samples from Wigle at the various experiments, and if you get there early enough, you can grab $15 slot play for Rivers Casino.
Saturday March 12
- Where: Hollywood Theater- Dormont
- When: 7:30pm
- Cost: $12
- Head to Hollywood Theater for some chili, beer, and film noir. Your $12 ticket gets you a seat to view Out of The Past, a bowl of chili, and 2 drink tickets (choice of stout or dark ale). A great way to chill out on a Saturday- maybe that pun was intended.
- Where: Club Cafe- South Side
- When: Doors at 7:00pm/Show at 8:00pm
- Cost: $15
- To really get in the St. Patrick’s Day spirit, join Mark Dingam and Friends for a night of traditional Irish music. This is one of my favorite music genres, and I think it would be worth braving the crowds in South Side this coming Saturday to experience it.
Sunday March 13
- Where: Blackforge Coffee- Allentown (1206 Arlington Ave.)
- When: 9:00am
- Cost: Free
- Celebrate the first of many Sunday openings at this amazing coffee shop. They will have coffee (obviously), but later in the day there will be beer samples from Hitchhiker Brewing and Spoonwood, discussions on sustainable brewing practictes, and a live podcast from The Drinking Partners w. Rick Sebak as a guest. This is worth getting out of bed on a Sunday!
- Where: Pittsburgh Winery- Strip District
- When: Doors at 6:00pm/ Show at 7:00pm
- Cost: $20 in advance or $25 at the door
- Another of my favorite genres of music is folk (as my mom-I was quite the free spirit). Combine Celtic rock with some folk and I am sold. This is another chance for you to get your Irish music on this weekend, so head to Pittsburgh Winery and check out this critically acclaimed band.
Have a safe and fun weekend! See you back here on Sunday for some options to make the week less weak.