So, tomorrow is Monday, and that is basically the worst. The events this week should make it a little more bearable, though.
Let’s get to it.
Monday February 8, 2106
- Where: Row House Cinema- Lawrenceville
- When: All day, check site for showtimes
- Cost: $9 for movie ticket + cost of dinner
- Still waiting for your table at Smoke? Grab it to go instead and take it to Row House Cinema every Monday. Movies this Monday include Road House, Purple Rain, and Labyrinth as a part of Row House’s “Tight Pants Week”.
Tuesday February 9, 2016
- Where: Butterjoint- Oakland
- When: 4:30pm-12:00am
- Cost: FREE
- Head to Butterjoint for a happy hour to benefit Girls Rock! Pittsburgh, a local organization that aims to empower young girls and women through music. All proceeds from purchases, as well as tips, during the fundraiser will directly benefit the mission of Girls Rock! Pittsburgh.
- Where: Ace Hotel Lobby Bar- East Liberty
- When: 9:00pm-12:00am
- Cost: FREE
- If you haven’t made your way to the new Ace Hotel yet, now would be the perfect time. Their Fat Tuesday party will feature a New Orleans inspired menu for the evening, as well as tarot card readings. They are also hosting a Mardi Gras costume contest, and the winners are entered to win a stay at Ace Hotel in New Orleans.
Wednesday February 10, 2016
- Where: NOLA On the Square- Downtown Pittsburgh Market Square
- When: 7:00pm- Reservations suggested
- Cost: FREE
- In case you didn’t get enough on Fat Tuesday, NOLA continues their live jazz series on Wednesday. Enjoy some drinks and live jazz in a relaxed atmosphere. Also, beignets- enough said.
- Where: Narcisi Winery- Gibsonia
- When: 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Cost: FREE
- Relax midweek with some wine and acoustic music. Doug Edgell is a local musician, and guitar instructor, who turned his skill and passion for music into a career.
Thursday February 11, 2016
- Where: Jergels Rhythm Grille- Warrendale
- When: 6:00pm doors/ 7:00pm Beard Shaving
- Cost: $50 in advance/$55 day of
- The 6th annual Shear Da Beard event will feature Brett Keisel shaving his iconic beard all for the benefit of Children’s Hospital. He will be joined by numerous teammates, and Pittsburgh’s own Donnie Iris and Gene the Werewolf will perform.
- Where: The Children’s Museum- Northside
- When: 6:30pm- 9:30pm
- Cost: $20 in advance/ $25 day of/ $15 for students and museum memebers
- Check out a variety of Valentine inspired activities and crafts, including a live ‘Missed Connections’ – okay I am intrigued. Make something sweet, or not so sweet, the choice is totally yours! Tickets include appetizers and drinks.
Weekend Recap: Sofar Sounds Pittsburgh
Friday was a first for Matt and I. We signed up for access to a show without knowing where it was or who was playing. The result- an amazing time.
Sofar Sounds operates on the premise that the music and the musicians should be the sole focus of the show- not your phone, your drinks, or a conversation with the person next to you. It is also done in an intimate setting, with very few people, and everyone sits on the ground (Bonus: I can see the WHOLE show). It was definitely a new way to see live music, but it totally worked.
Thursday before the show, I got an email giving me the address of the show, and it was at a community workspace called Word Hard in the Allentown neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Three bands performed: Animal Flag, Covey, and Gracie and Rachel. They were from Boston and NYC, and it was a pleasant surprise to get to hear some bands from out of town. I’m definitely looking forward to the next installment of Sofar Sounds in Pittsburgh!
Hope everyone has an exciting and productive week -work hard play hard!
Stay tuned for Wednesday’s post highlighting upcoming weekend events! As always, if you have an event you want highlighted or a business/restaurant you want Pittsburgh to know about- let me know!