Hey everyone! Halfway through the week- now is the time to start planning what you’ll do with your freedom!
I’m more excited than normal for this weekend because it is time for my favorite Pittsburgh music festival. Seriously, we anticipate this event all year. Its written on the calendar as soon as the dates are announced, and anyone that has asked us about this weekend has gotten a “sorry, we are busy” for months. This is the event that got Matt and I hooked on the Pittsburgh music scene. Yeah, it is that good.
Read on to find out which festival I am talking about !
Friday July 14
Deutschtown Music Festival
- Where: North Side– Various Venues
- When: Friday and Saturday!
- Cost: FREE
- 200 local bands, 20+ stages, food trucks, beer garden- what more could you ask for? Whatever your flavor, I guarantee you will find something your ears like. ALL FREE. Many of the stages/venues are family friendly, and some are even pup friendly! Head to the website to check out the extensive schedule and map of venue locations. They have a free shuttle, too, so no worries about trying to lug the whole family from the Park Stage to the Wigle Whiskey Barrelhouse. Seriously, do yourself a favor and just check it out.
Crafts & Drafts: Kreepy Dolls
- Where: Contemporary Craft– Strip District
- When: 6pm-9pm
- Cost: $35 (21+ only)
- Create your own Kreepy Doll at this happy hour workshop. Local artist Daniel Baxter will help you combine patterns to sew your own doll to take home. Two drinks are included with your ticket- So come unwind from the week and create something with your own imagination!
- Where: Frick Environmental Center – Squirrel Hill
- When: 6:30pm-9pm
- Cost: $20
- Sipping on some cocktails while learning about air quality and making a terrarium? Sign me up. The Frick Environmental Center hosts these happy hours the second Friday of every month, each with a different theme. This month focuses on health. Red Star Kombucha will serve up the cocktails and Buffalo Rose will supply the tunes.
Saturday July 15
Pittsburgh Zoo- Learn to Dive
- Where: Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium – Highland Park
- When: 10am-4pm (also on Friday and Sunday)
- Cost: Included with zoo admission
- Go Dive Now is bringing their traveling scuba pool to the zoo! Located in the PNC Pavillion (near the aquarium), participants 10 years and older (and minimum 54in tall) can try out scuba diving. All you need is a bathing suit and towel, Go Dive Now provides the rest!
- Where: Hollywood Theater– Dormont
- When: Doors at 3:30pm
- Cost: Free
- Sometimes you just want to sit in the AC and enjoy a movie, I get it. If that is what you’re feeling this Saturday, head to the Hollywood Theater for a free showing of Gremlins. Seating is first come first served, so get there sooner rather than later. Before or after the show, walk around Dormont for their Christmas in July event.
Welcome to the New Wave: 90’s & Early 2000’s Dance Party
- Where: Spirit – Lawrenceville
- When: 10pm-2am
- Cost: Ladies no cover until 11pm- Men $10
- Don your best 90’s or Early 2000’s attire -yikes- and get ready to party like you’re at your middle school dance. Awkward dance moves encouraged. There will be an open bar from 10-11 (while supplies last) and a cash prize for the best throwback outfit. This event sold out last year so show up early!
Sunday July 16
Yoga in the Garden
- Where: Pittsburgh Botanic Garden– Oakdale
- When: 10am-11am
- Cost: $7 for members $17 for nonmembers (includes class and access to the gardens)
- This all levels class will be held by the Lotus Pond (it is beautiful). Make sure to give yourself enough time to park, pay, and walk to the pond before class starts. No need to preregister, but you do need to BYO mat and water! Don’t forget to leave some time afterwards to explore the trails and learn more about the gardens. It is always expanding, and they have some amazing surprises there.
Polish Hill Arts Festival
- Where: Polish Hill
- When: 12pm-9pm
- Cost: Free
- This 10th annual event features 30+ artist, food trucks, hands-on art demos, and more! Head out and support community artists while picking up some hand-made treasures. Family friendly!
Small Shop National Ice Cream Competition
- Where: Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor– Strip District
- When: 1pm-7pm
- Cost: Free
- Head to Klavon’s to see small ice cream shops battle it out for bragging rights and to be crowned ‘Best Ice Cream in America’. There’s also a bounce house (hard to pass up, right?) and live music/entertainment. Klavon’s is right over the Hill from Polish Hill, so make a day of it!
So you’ve seen by now that Pittsburgh offers such a wide variety of events. I try to pull in as many different types of events as possible so there is something that hopefully appeals to everyone
Whatever you decide to do-I hope its enjoyable! Check out our social media accounts for pictures/videos from all the events we head to this weekend!
If you are a part of an organization, company, volunteer group, etc. that has an event you want me to highlight- send it on over! I would love to help spread the word about whatever likely awesome event you are hosting.