Hey everyone! Hope the week is treating you well so far. If you’re ready to start planning for the weekend (seriously, who isn’t?), I have some event recommendations worth checking out!
Friday March 18
- Where: Spirit- Lawrenceville
- When: 7:00pm
- Celebrate Pittsburgh’s Bicentennial in true Pittsburgh fashion. The party will feature events such a Whiskey Rebellion obstacle course, a reenactment of the Immaculate Reception, a visit from the Second String Pierogies, and so much more. Spirit will also transform the event space to feature iconic Pittsburgh neighborhoods. So don your birthday suit (er, maybe not) and party in honor of our favorite city!
Randy Baumann’s Ramble at the Rex
- Where: The Rex- South Side
- When: Doors at 8:00pm /Show at 9:00pm
- Cost: $10 in advance
- If you haven’t heard of Randy Baumann’s Rambles yet, you have been missing out. The night consists of a house band with Randy himself and a handful of Pittsburgh’s most talented. Various local artists take the stage to sing covers of known favorites from The Band, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, etc. Occasionally, if you are lucky, they will also sing an original song or two. I find myself saying this so often but it is true, Pittsburgh has some great talent. Head to the Rex this Friday to see for yourself. Drop us a line if you go- Matt and I will be there!
Saturday March 19
The Fleet Awakens Food Truck Rally
- Where: Voodoo Brewery- Homestead
- When: 3:00pm
- Cost: However hard you go on the food trucks and beer
- 19- yes 19!- food trucks will line the streets around Voodoo Brewery on Saturday. This is the first of hopefully many in a series, so head down and make it a success! PGH Crepes, Berlin Street Food, PGH Taco Truck, and Mac & Gold are just a few of the trucks you can expect to see at the event. So grab some food and a beer and enjoy the last day of winter!
Farm to Flask
- Where: David L. Lawrence Convention Center- Downtown Pittsburgh
- When: 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Cost: $20
- The newest addition to Pittsburgh’s Farm to Table Conference, Farm to Flask will features samples from local distilleries and wineries. Learn how to mix up a new cocktail or two! The Farm to Table Conference is happening all weekend, so check that our while you are at it.
Sunday March 20
Best of Portugal Wine Tasting
- Where: The Allegheny Wine Mixer, Inc- Lawrenceville
- When: 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Cost: $30
- If you’re feeling adventurous on a Sunday, check out some of the best wines from Portugal at this tasting. You’ll sample around 6 different wines- snacks and a gift bag are included.
- Where: The Hollywood Theater- Dormont
- When: 3:00pm
- Cost: $8
- In the next part of the theater’s Silent, Please! series, they will be showing Haxan: Witchcraft through the Ages. The Silents, Please! series features silent films accompanied by live music- this Sunday will be Richard Nicol of Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers. Haxan: Witchcraft through the Ages documents how superstitions and disease epidemics led to witch hunts.
Next, I have a little bit of a plan ahead post that features events from an organization very near to my family’s heart: Jamie’s Dream Team. Jamie’s Dream Team is a local nonprofit organization dedicated to offering hope to individuals suffering from serious medical conditions, disease, trauma and much more. It is Pittsburgh’s own wish granting organization! They do some great work- but they need our help! Consider attending the events below to help them raise money and allow them to continue to spread their awesomeness and cheer around!
Jamie’s Dream Team Presents: Dallas Marks Band
- Where: Dave & Busters-Homestead
- When: Saturday April 9, 2016- 8:00pm-12:00am
- Cost: $20
- Join Jamie’s Dream Team in their fundraising even at Dave & Busters. Your ticket includes a concert from Pittsburgh’s own Dallas Marks Band, beer, food, and a $10 playing card. Follow the link to find out more/purchase tickets and help make some dreams come true!
Walk for a Healthy Community
- Where: Stage AE- North Side
- When: Saturday May 14, 2016-9:00am
- Cost: $35(13+) or $20(6-12) and $2 for your dog!
- Register for the 5k or 1 Mile walk by heading to the website and following the links to walk for Jamie’s Dream Team. Participation directly benefits the mission of the organization- so enjoy a spring day for a good cause.
Enjoy the rest of the week- and I’ll see you back here Sunday for a weekend recap ( we have a special weekend planned!) and a few things to look forward to for the week.