Almost the weekend!
I usually have a hard time narrowing down my list of weekend events- there is just too much. This weekend was even more difficult. With Pittsburgh Craft Beer week starting the amount of noteworthy activities was almost endless. Not to worry, though, I came up with a decent solution, and there is definitely something for everyone this weekend.
Friday April 15
21+ Night: Sci-Fi
- Where: Carnegie Science Center- North Shore
- When: 6pm-10pm
- Cost: $10/$9 for members
- Check out classic Sci-Fi movies, explore technology, and have some ghoslty conversations with the Steel City Ghostbusters. You can do all of this and so much more at the next installment of the museum’s 21+ up night. Not to mention, you can make and take your own slime. If the slime alone doesn’t sound like a Friday night party–well, I’m not sure what else you want from me.
The Funhouse at Mr.Smalls & AcoustiCafe Grand Opening Party
- Where: Mr. Smalls- Millvale
- When: Doors at 8pm/Show at 9pm
- Cost: NO COVER
- The venue is celebrating the grand opening of the Funhouse and the new home of AcoustiCafe with a big old party. Some of Pittsburgh’s finest will be there to perform: The Commonheart, Wreck Loose, Morgan Erina, Liz Berlin, and Mikey DeLuca. After the performances, there will be an open stage. Get there early to sign up if you want to perform!
Saturday April 16
Shadyside Pup Walk
- Where: Liberty School Lot- Shadyside (Corner of Ellsworth/Ivy)
- When: 9am-2pm
- Cost: $15 per dog in advance/$20 day of
- Since I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of our pup (one week until he is home!), I have been on the lookout for pet friendly events. This even is the pup walk/neighborhood yard sale all rolled into one. The 1-mile walk begins at 10am, and all registered pups get a goody bag and a snazzy bandana! The vendors will stick around until 2pm, so check them out after the walk. Follow the link for sign up instructions for the walk or to be a vendor.
Art for Autism
- Where: James Street Gastropub & Speakeasy- Northside
- When: 7pm
- Cost: $15
- James Street has been having some great events lately, and this one is no different. The tag for the event is “Good Beer, Live Music, Great Cause”–that pretty much sums it up. Josh Verbanats, Andre Costello and the Cool Minors, and more will be performing. The event benefits the Arts for Autism Foundation of Pittsburgh & Joey Travolta Film Camp.
Sunday April 17
Sunday Funday at the Summit
- Where: The Summit- Mt. Washington
- When: 11am-3pm
- Cost: Cost of food/drinks
- Brunch for a good cause again this Sunday with 50% of the sales benefiting the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The 50% includes food AND drinks so why not have and extra Bloody Mary…or 3.
- Where: The Hollywood Theater- Dormont
- When: 3pm
- Cost: $8
- The next installment of the theater’s Silents, Please! series will feature 2 Charlie Chaplin films: The Pilgrim and A Dog’s Life. The films will be accompanied by world renowned silent file accompanist Dennis James on the organ.
If any of these events don’t do it for you, head over to the Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week site to view a very extensive list of events. Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week runs April 15-24, and events are held at various locations all over Pittsburgh. The events include special craft releases, tap takeovers, collaborations between local breweries, and so much more. Find something that suits your style and support the great craft scene we have happening in Pittsburgh ! Cheers!
Whatever you end up doing this weekend- make it worth it!