So, I don’t know about you, but planning my weekend way before it hits (as in at work on a Monday morning) makes the week go faster. I like having something to look forward to – along with ample time set aside for naps with the pup.
If you’re still looking for something to fill in the spaces between your naps, check out some of the events happening this weekend!
Friday July 21
Resounding Sound- Texture Contemporary Ballet
- Where: New Hazlett Theater– North Side
- When: Various times throughout the weekend with a special children’s performance at 4pm Saturday
- Cost: $25 in advance/$30 at the Box Office/$20 for Senior/Student
- Texture Contemporary Ballet is ushering in 7th season with their new show featuring two live bands, one being Pittsburgh’s own Meeting of Important People! They will play part of their new album Troika, to accompany the new choreography. Support the local arts all around by catching one of the performances. Check out the promo video for the ballet before you go, and also give Troika a listen- All Rode Off Together is my personal fav!
The Hambone’s Hoedown
- Where: Hambone’s– Lawrenceville
- When: 8pm-1am
- Cost: $5 Cover
- If you aren’t interested in a theater performance (C’mon, expand your horizons) no fear- Hambone’s is giving you another way to support local art this Friday. Peep some art- check. Dance along to some bluegrass tunes-check. Have a great Friday night- check.
Billy Price w. Clinton Clegg
- Where: Moondogs Pub– Blawnox
- When: 8:30pm-11pm
- Cost: $13
- It literally never fails. Whenever we have plans, one of our favorite local musicians is like “Surprise, doing a show in town”. Case in point for this show. Both of these musicians on their own are nothing short of amazing. Now you have them paired together? Forget it, one of the best acts you’ll see for sure. This is the pregame to the Pittsburgh Blues & Roots festival that we’ll get to later. Side note- Blawnox might be the most Pittsburgh sounding town. Thoughts?
Saturday July 22
One WHIRL Yoga Fest
- Where: Point State Park– Downtown Pittsburgh
- When: 6am-4pm
- Cost: $35 or $40 at the door
- Back again is this free all day yoga event. Try out different types of yoga, practice your mediation, sample some Pilates- you can do it all on Saturday all included with your ticket purchase! There will also be a vendor village to browse between your classes. Click the link to check out the schedule and purchase your tickets. Don’t forget your mat and water!
Pittsburgh Blues & Roots Festival
- Where: Syria Shrine Center– Cheswick
- When: Gates at 12:30pm, Music at 2pm Saturday AND Sunday
- Cost: $20
- Head out for a great day of music benefiting the Autism Society of Pittsburgh. The inaugural year of this festival will feature music, food, and drinks- all family friendly. Proceeds from the event will fund post high school training for Pittsburgh kids! There is seating, but you may want to BYOchair just in case. Check on the line up by clicking the link!
Sunday July 23
Brunch with Valentino
- Where: National Aviary– North Side
- When: Seating 1 at 10:30am/Seating 2 at 12:30pm
- Cost: Adults $37/Children $19.50/Children 3 & Under Free
- Add this to the list of events I’m super bummed to be missing out on. We did this last year and it was a blast. The brunch was delicious (Catered by Atria’s), and Valentino, the resident Aviary Sloth, and I became best friends*. The brunch is held outside in their beautiful garden area, and your tickets include all you can eat, meet and greet with Valentino, and admission to the Aviary for the day. Bring some cash because they do have a bar with Bloody Mary’s and Mimosas, but it is cash only. If you can’t attend this, there is another one scheduled for later this summer! *Check out Instagram for photographic proof of friendship.
Pups & Pints Yappy Hour
- Where: Grist House– Millvale
- When: 2pm-7pm
- Cost: Free
- Grab your pup and head to Grist House for their 3rd annual “Yappy Hour”! There will be microchipping, a photo booth, and puppy pools- plus great beer and food from Pittsburgh Sandwich Society. Everything you need to a day of fun with the pup. Pittsburgh Sandwich Society even has a pup menu! Everyone wins!
Christmas in July
- Where: Il Tetto– Downtown Pittsburgh
- When: 4pm-12am
- Cost: Free
- I always have a few questions about ‘Christmas in July’. For instance, why? Also, and most importantly, WHY ISN’T IT IN JUNE??! Regardless, there always seem to be some fun themed events for the occasion, some even occur outside of a campground. Il Teto’s Christmas party is one. They will have Christmas beers on tap, Christmas cookies, and the halls will be decked. So head out and enjoy a little Christmas cheer in July…I still don’t understand, but hey, if there’s beer…
While I try to find a mix of free/paid events for each post, I mostly focus on how awesome an event sounds. But as a reminder I don’t ever write about something that I wouldn’t go to myself or suggest to a friend (I have very eclectic interests, so this doesn’t limit what you’ll see!) I also won’t include a paid event that I wouldn’t personally spend the money on- we all work hard for it! This doesn’t mean that other events aren’t worth attending. If they catch your eye and you think it’s a fair price – absolutely try it out. There is also a matter of time/post length- don’t want to throw too much info at ya! Just wanted to give you that little caveat in case you wondered how/why I write about certain events and not others.
Most importantly: We live in an amazing city that offers us so much, it is definitely worth exploring more and finding new places- what I offer here doesn’t even BEGIN to scratch the surface of what is out there!
Hope you have a fantastic rest of the week and enjoy your weekend! I have a belated birthday adventure weekend planned – so check out Instagram for some snapshots of the festivities (but not until Sunday because it is an ‘unplugged’ weekend!) Cheers!