Its been a while! But, since summer will be drawing to a close this week (HOORAY! Oh? Just Me? Okay..), I figured it was time to get back to bringing you awesome ‘Burgh events for every day of your week.
In addition to the biweekly event posts you are all used to, I’m also going to start bringing you reviews of my favorite local businesses (coffee, cafes, yoga studios, etc). I think it is so important to support the small businesses in our area, so I want to share with you some of my favorite ones I have found throughout the years! Also, since I am now a dog mom, I’ll be occasionally publishing some posts tailored to dog friendly locations throughout the city. Lots of fun to look forward to!
Now, let’s get down to business. Remember to click on the event titles for more details!
Monday September 19
- Where: Ace Hotel- 120 S. Whitfield Street
- When: 7pm-10pm
- Cost: $5 all you can play
- Throw it back to your middle school days with a stress free night of dodgeball. Zero skill required -just go for the fun. There will be pick up games from 7-9, and a team tournament style from 9-10. No need to bring a team – come with a friend or head down solo to meet some new ones…either way it is worth checking out. Because, let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to throw things after Monday morning meetings?
Tuesday September 20
- Where: Various North Side Venues: Alloy 26- 100 S Commons (Daytime programming) and New Hazlett Theater- 6 Allegheny Square E (Evening programming)
- When: September 20 11:30am- September 22 7:00pm
- Cost: Daytime programming is free! Keynote addresses require ticket purchases at $15 per address or $30 to attend all.
- Thrival is a Pittsburgh created conference focusing on the many elements (education, public policy, transportation, etc) that impact our lives on a daily basis.Through a series of speakers and interactive events, Thrival Innovation brings 3 days of programming on topics such as: “Real Talk: What Happens When We Put the Phones Away”, “Collision Course: Courage, Accountability, and Fighting for the Voiceless”, and so many more worth checking out. In between the speakers discussing community health and other initiatives, there are scheduled happy hours, networking events, and after parties. Check out the schedule above to find some programming that interests you!
Wednesday September 21
- Where: Wigle Whiskey Barrelhouse & Whiskey Garden
- When: 6pm-8pm
- Cost: Free- An RSVP if you plan to attend is appreciated
- 412 Food Rescue and Repair the World: Pittsburgh are coming together to host an event to raise awareness for their cause: strengthening our local communities through education and skill development with an emphasis on addressing hunger in our city by ending food waste. The proceeds from all drink sales will benefit the partnership between the groups. Cocktails with a Conscience is a series of social justice happy hours- check back for more installments in the coming weeks!
Thursday September 22
- Where: Harris Theater- Downtown Pittsburgh Cultural District OR Hollywood Theater- Dormont (Saturday September 24)
- When: 6pm-9:30pm (9/22) OR 5pm-9pm (9/24
- Cost: $15 /person
- Breathtaking images and films combine with environmental topics in this unique film festival sponsored by the Pennsylvania Resource Council and Allegheny Cleanways. The purpose is to inspire ideas and dialogue on how we can all do a little more to take care of our communities and the idea that any action- no mater how small- is worthy. The films are playing in two different locations on two different days, so hopefully you’ll have a chance to check it out!
I’m sensing a bit of an unintentional theme with the featured events this week. It’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day of our personal lives, but I think it is important to step out of that every now and then to check in on our community and neighbors and see what we can be doing to help one another.
As for me, I’ll be checking Ryan Bingham at Stage AE (I shared my love for him wayyy back in the very first post). I also want to try to check out some of the evening programming of Thrival Innovation and the film festival.
Hope everyone has a productive week–Remember to take care of yourselves and one another! I’ll see you back here Wednesday to get a jump-start on planning the weekend- Cheers!